Adding a “Burst” of Style to Our Family Room

I’m coming to you today with a DIY starburst mirror that will add a great accent to any wall.  As a wedding gift, David and I received these awesome mirrors from Target.

starburst mirrior

I loved these mirrors so much that I decided to make a larger one for the empty wall space in our family room. For this project you will need:

  • Small round mirror (luckily, I had an old round mirror in the basement that I had no use for)
  • Dowel Rods
  • Hot Glue
  • Tape
  • Spray Paint
  • Saw or other method for cutting rods
  • Fiber Rope or Heavy-Duty Jute Twine
  • Patience (because you will want to hang it on the wall right away, but if you attempt to hang it before it dries the result will not be pretty..trust me)

IMG_0110edit
We began by taking half of the rods and sawing approximately one inch off (it’s okay if they are not perfectly aligned). While David so kindly did this, I used tape to create a star shape in the center of the mirror, serving as a guide for rod placement symmetry.

IMG_0114editIMG_0113 (1)edit

Interchanging rods around the round mirror, I tried different variations until deciding on one. Then it was time to glue. Warning: if you expect gluing to be an effortless step in making this mirror you will be sadly disappointed. You may reach a point where the glue doesn’t seem to be holding the rods very well (and you want to pull your hair out), but just remember it will work (and destroying your hair may will not make you feel better). The secret is to prop the rods up while they are drying (this will be a lifesaver), and have a husband who is willing to step in when you are about to lose your marbles.

IMG_0115

IMG_0116edit
The gluing process will take some time, and you may have to go back and scrap off extra glue using a putty knife. However, once gluing is complete you can go grab a glass of lemonade and relax as it must dry for several hours.

After allowing proper drying time it’s time to pull out the spray paint.  I chose to paint mine white to match the lamp in my family room, but the possibilities are limitless.

IMG_0155edit
At this point in the process you could be done with a great end result. However, I added one last detail (rope) to tie in with the other wood tones in our family room. Back to the beloved hot glue gun (sigh) and the need for more patience (double sigh).

Simply gluing around the center of the mirror, the rope added additional texture and helped to cover up some of the imperfections left from gluing the rods.
IMG_0175edit

IMG_0177edit

And without further ado…the final product.
DSC01887edit
DSC01925edit

Although this project was a tester of patience I am certainly happy with the end result.

I hope you enjoyed this post. Be sure to check back on the blog as I’m currently working on another post highlighting all of the mini projects we’ve been working on around the house.

Have a great weekend!

Katie sign

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>